18th Century 20-Light Neoclassic Chandelier, German Probably Werner & Mieth
Regular priceSale price
Unit price/ per
A German Neoclassic ormolu and cut-glass twenty light chandelier, lower tier contains four (4) groups of three (3) lights or twelve (12) total, upper tier has two (2) branches for each of the four (4) groups below or eight (8) total, circa 1795, probably Berlin and attributable to Werner & Mieth, founded 1792, one of the great artistic foundries of the age of European Neoclassicism.
Measures: 50" H x 47" diameter
The Werner & Mieth workshop was founded by Christian Gottlieb Werner (1756-1831) and Gottfried Mieth (circa 1765-1834) and specialized in creating objects and chandeliers from glass and gilt bronze. Both had been modellers at the Royal Berlin Porcelain Factory, KPM. The firm was active in projects to furnish the royal palaces in Berlin, Potsdam and elsewhere employing a number of talented artist and architects such as Hans Christian Genelli (1763-1823) and Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1781-1841). -from the research of Frank C. Möller